The aftermath of any disaster that has directly affected your property can often be stressful and traumatic. Paul Davis provides the following information and tips that can help the recovery process go smoother.
Contact Paul Davis for all your property damage needs. (270) 765-5511
- Obviously, it’s always important to be sure you and your family (and don’t forget pets) are secure and that you contact your relatives and friends to let them know you are safe.
- Report the damage to your insurance company as soon as you can.
- Keep a listing of any and all household personal belongings or goods you have thrown out and receipts for any expenses you incur while protecting your property.
- Is your house safe? Depending on the extent of the damage, you may need to relocate temporarily until the cleanup and repairs are finished. (Notify your insurance company if this is the case.)
Water Damage Tips
You’ve suffered a water loss. While you are waiting for us to arrive, listed below are some tips to help deal with the damage:
- Be Safe: A water event can present many possible safety hazards to residents. The potential for slips, falls and electric shock are real. Keep in mind, items soaked with water can be very heavy. Only complete tasks that can be done safely.
- Water Source: It is important to turn off the water. For most, the main shut-off valve is located either in your garage or utility room, or outside, next to your water meter.
- Electrical: Turn off all power to affected areas of the property. Do not operate your television or other electrical appliances while standing on wet flooring.
- Air Conditioning: Turn on your air conditioner to aid indrying in the summer or in humid areas of the country.
- Floors: Remove as much standing water as possible, using towels or a mop. (Never use a vacuum cleaner.)
- Carpeting: Blot wet carpeting with clean, white towels. Remove all colored rugs or Oriental rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpet.
- Clothing/Fabrics: Relocate wet items to dry places. Don’t allow draperies to stay in contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Furniture: Move lighter pieces off of the carpet. Place plastic wrap or plastic bags under the legs of bigger furniture. Wipe any excess water off of the furniture.
Fire Damage Tips
You’ve suffered a fire loss. While you are waiting for Paul Davis to arrive, below are some suggestions to help deal with the situation:
- Be Safe: Never reenter affected areas of the home until fire officials have deemed the property completely safe. Even after the fire is out, there are potential safety hazards to be aware of. The potential for slips and falls from water that was used to diffuse the fire, and scrapes and cuts from exposed, sharp edges are real. Only perform tasks that can be done completely safely.
- Going Back Inside: The effects of fire damage are measured down to microscopic levels. Even for a short time, entry by a person can lead to more damage. Enter ONLY if emergency personnel have cleared the property and deemed it safe to enter and only if absolutely necessary.
- Appliances/Electronics: Don’t use any stereo, TV or other electrical appliances until they have been inspected by a professional. If the electricity is turned off, empty your refrigerator/freezer completely and prop the doors open with a rolled towel.
- Carpets: Avoid being on carpet if possible. Do not use “do-it-yourself” home carpet cleaners.
- Ceilings/Walls: Don’t wipe or attempt to wash ceilings and other absorbent surfaces.
- Doors: Shut doors in affected areas to focus smoke odors as much as possible.
- Food Items: Never eat any food exposed to smoke or any canned goods that have been subjected to excessive heat.
- Furnace: Change the air conditioner or furnace filter if the blower is operating. Tape two pieces of cheesecloth over air registers with masking tape.
- Pets: Move all pets to a clean environment until your property has been completely restored and cleaned.
- Plants: Wash plants with mild soap and water, cleaning both sides of the leaves.
- Windows: If possible, open windows to ventilate.
If your home or business is damaged by fire, water, mold, storm or other disaster, Call Paul!